Are you eating after your workout?
Eating after a workout is so important.
When your putting effort into your goals and working hard at the gym its really important to put as much effort into your diet as well. You have probably thought more about your pre workout meal than after.
To understand how the right foods can help you after exercise, it's important to understand how your body is affected by physical activity.
When you're working out, your muscles use up their glycogen stores for fuel. This results in your muscles being partially depleted of glycogen. Some of the proteins in your muscles also get broken down and damaged.
After your workout, your body tries to rebuild its glycogen stores and repair and regrow those muscle proteins.
Eating the right nutrients soon after you exercise can help your body get this done faster. It is particularly important to eat carbs and protein after your workout.
Doing this helps your body:
- Decrease muscle protein breakdown.
- Increase muscle protein synthesis (growth).
- Restore glycogen stores.
- Enhance recovery.
The primary goal of your post-workout meal is to supply your body with the right nutrients for adequate recovery and to maximize the benefits of your workout.
Here are a few examples of quick and easy meals to eat after your workout:
- Grilled chicken with roasted vegetables.
- Egg omelet with avocado spread on toast.
- Salmon with sweet potato.
- Tuna salad sandwich on whole grain bread.
- Tuna and rice-cakes.
- oats, whey protein, banana and almonds.
- Cottage cheese and fruits.
- Pita and hummus.
- Rice crackers and peanut butter.
- Whole grain toast and almond butter.
- Greek yogurt, berries and granola.
- protein shake and banana.
- Quinoa bowl with berries and pecans.
- Multi-grain bread and raw peanuts.
- poached eggs with mushrooms and spinach on multigrain bread
A protein shake is the perfect immediate nutrition post workout to help with recovery, if you head to the protein section on the website we have a few options followed by the correct nutrition!!
Don't forget your H2O ladies it's incredibly important to remain hydrated!
Eating well doesn't have to be complicated ladies!! Making good choices about what we put into our bodies helps us in the long run to be our best and healthiest selves.